Joomla 2.5 will reach "End Of Life" at midnight on December 31st. That's coming up soon! At that time, Joomla will no longer provide bug fixes, features, or security updates for version 2.5. All focus on updates, fixes and security will be on Joomla version 3.
So, for security, compatibility and performance purposes, now is the perfect time to make sure you have the latest available update of Joomla (3.3 or higher). Whether you just need a simple update, or you're ready for a major overhaul, 'Universe Design' can handle your Joomla update for you, to help ensure you, your site visitors and customers have as smooth an experience as possible.
The great news is, the Joomla Programming Leadership Team has gone to great lengths to ensure the transition from 2.5 to 3.x will be less the tricky migration path of old (think of the horrors of upgrading from 1.5 to 2.5), and more of an update.
When updating your Joomla site from 2.5 to 3.x on your own, don't forget, it's important to make sure your templates, plus all of your extensions — components, plugins and modules — are ready for the update to the new responsive and mobile-ready version of Joomla too. At 'Universe Design', we always recommend backing up your entire site, and testing the site updates or upgrades on a development (separate, private) server first, to ensure all data and content is intact, and all functionality is properly operating, among other testing methods.
Written by Cliff Pfeifer | 01 January 2016 | Published in 2016 JANUARY
With a new year upon us and the 10 year anniversary of Joomla behind us we’re all looking to the future. This is the beginning of a new era in the Joomla community and what we do this year will shape our future. As individuals we have the power to change the community for the better and there is no better time than now to make positive changes. Here are some ways we can make a positive difference in our community this year.
Read the rest of this great article and others at
With over 700 improvements, including fantastic new features like custom fields, a multilingual association manager and an improved workflow, Joomla! 3.7 is clearly something to celebrate and it is easy to see why it has the Joomla! Community very excited.
Here’s a quick look at the major new features* included in Joomla! 3.7
- Custom Fields - use extra fields, including text fields, selects and 13 other field types, in your articles, users and contacts
- Multilingual Associations Component - translate your content easily from a single, unified interface
- Improved Workflow - create a category, article, and menu item all in one step from within the menu manager
- Backend Menu Manager - manage the administrator menu just like the frontend, create a different configuration for each of your backend user groups
- Do more with TinyMCE - including new buttons to easily add menu links and contacts and many other improvements
- Easier Extension Maintenance - prevent administrators from accidentally uninstalling needed extension package elements
- User Experience - the little changes that make all the difference: your User Experience is improved thanks to the display of your global settings, a flatter backend template, the possibility to share sessions between apps...
Want to know more? View the whole list of improvements here.
- New Router - We are currently facing some issues with the new router if enabled on some production sites. We are working to fix them in order to provide the quality expected by our users. As such, we are unable to guarantee the inclusion of this feature in the 3.7 release at this time. Please rest assured that we are working hard to ensure it will be available as soon as possible.
- *All features are subject to change depending on the availability of volunteers and circumstances beyond our control.
How can I prepare my site for 3.7?
Joomla! 3.7 will be a normal update just like previous 3.x versions. If your site is not already running 3.6.5, we strongly urge you to update immediately. Joomla! 3.6.5 was a security release and your site is at risk if you are running a previous version.
As always, before upgrading it is important to update all of your third party extensions and also to take and test a full backup of your site.
This is also a great time to connect with your hosting company and check your PHP and database versions. We recommend upgrading to PHP 7 or 7.1 as it will bring a considerable speed boost to your site. Further system requirements can be found here.
When can I expect 3.7 to be released?
Our current roadmap plans for release by the beginning of April, but this is dependent on testing (see below for details on how you can help).